History of SACFD
From an all volunteer fire department in 1942 to protecting approximately 76 square miles of residential, commercial, industrial, and open lands today.
Began as All Volunteer
On February 9, 1942, the South Adams County Fire Department was formed as an all volunteer fire department. The Department was an outgrowth of a local civil defense group resulting from WWII. The primary funding for the volunteers up until 1952 was through fundraising.
Formed with Mill Levy
In 1952 the South Adams County Fire District was formed with a 1/2 mill tax levy.
What We are Today
In 2013, thanks to the citizens’ faith in 5A, SACFD became a combination department of reserve firefighters, and career staff.
ISO Class 2
South Adams achieved an ISO Class 2 Fire Department
Our department responds to over 9,000 calls annually and has over 66 Firefighters and 22 Administrative staff. We protect approximate 76 sq. miles of residential and commercial, industrial, and open lands. We contract and partner with Northglenn Ambulance to run medical calls within the district in which there are 5 ALS ambulances staffed 24/7 throughout the district.
Fire Calls over the Years
Area of Protection over the Years
The Fire Department protected 26 square miles up to the year 2000,
today the fire department protects approximately 76 square miles of
residential, commercial, industrial, and open lands.