Fire & Life Safety Education
Open Burn Permits
Fire Prevention is Our Ultimate Goal
The South Adams County Fire Prevention Bureau was established in 1971 with one fire inspector. Today the Fire Prevention Division is managed by the Division Chief of Fire Prevention/Fire Marshal and includes a Captain/Deputy Fire Marshal, a Fire/Life Safety Educator, three Fire Prevention Specialists, an Administrative Assistant/Permit Technician, and an Administrative Assistant.
These individuals perform many tasks, including developing and teaching fire/life safety programs, technical review and approval of new development, construction, and fire protection system plans; new development and building construction inspections; fire protection system acceptance testing and inspections; compliance inspections of existing commercial businesses; and they are responsible for the investigation of fires in the district.
The Fire Prevention Division believes their work with the community is essential in reducing the effects of fire related incidences throughout the community ensuring our mission of protecting life, property, and the environment.
Please look under our Fire & Life education tab for programs and educational information. The Plan Review tab for information on our contractor portal, construction plan reviews and inspections fees. The Operational Permits tab for information on our annual operational permits. The Open Burn Permits tab for information on opening burning.
Access Our Contractor Portal for Plan Review and Permits
Fire Won't Wait, Plan Your Escape
Today’s homes burn faster than ever. You may have as little as two minutes (or even less time) to safely escape a home fire from the time the smoke alarm sounds. Your ability to get out of a home during a fire depends on early warning from smoke alarms and advance planning.
Prepare - Plan - Practice
Prepare your home
- Have clear exit paths and make sure all windows and doors open freely.
- Eliminate any potential fire hazards.
- Have proper working smoke alarms throughout your home. Test them regularly to make sure they are working.
Plan Your Escape
- Create a fire escape plan with everyone in your home.
- Make a map of your home including 2 ways out of each room.
- Agree on a meeting place outside of your home. Something is is permanent, like a tree or a neighbors house.
- Make sure your escape plan is updated as needed.
- Make sure everyone knows the address and how to call 9-1-1.
Practice your emergency plan
- Practice your escape plan with everyone in your home. You may need to make adjustments for those who may need assistance.
- Practice your escape plan both during the day time and at night.
- Practice a back up plan
South Adams County Fire Department strives to keep the community safe in everyway possible. It all starts with education. Our commitment is to provide education on how to prevent or respond to a potential life threatening emergency.
SACFD Classes and Programs
SACFD strives to provide the community with the highest level of safety protection. This includes Car Seat Safety Inspections. SACFD has 5 certified car seat technicians available to assist you in safety securing your child’s car seat. A car seat check includes :
- Certified technician will examine your car seat for any installation issues and will guide you to making any corrections necessary.
- Educate parents and caregivers on what to expect with any child restraint system, Colorado laws, and what to expect with future restraint systems as the child grows.
Car Seat Inspections are completed Monday through Friday, 8:00 am – 5:00pm by appointment only. Please schedule in advance to guarantee a technician available.
Important Links :
Want to request a Station Tour or a Car Seat Check? Select and complete the forms below and we will contact you soon.
Car Seat Inspections
Thank you to all of our schools, daycares, and businesses that have allowed up to come and teach about fire safety.
Safety Tips and Links
South Adams County Fire Department is committed to community safety. One of the first steps we take in making sure that the buildings around the district are safe is the with the plan review process. Below you will find the links for the applications and fee schedules. Please contact us with any other questions or concerns.
Third Party Plan Reviews:
Due to the large influx of plans recieved, we will be using our Third Party Reviewers. Please reference our Plan Review and Inspection Schedule for hourly fees that will be assessed on top plan reviews fees.
Check out the Plan Review and Inspection Fee Schedule here.
- Plan Review Inspection Permit Fee Schedule.
- Contractor Portal How to Guide
- Firetruck Turning Radius template
When submitting plans for review include the following :
- Plan Review Application
All files need to be submitted in an electronic, unlocked and unsecured state for review. Plans submitted without being unlocked and unsecured will cause delay in reviews.
- All submittals must meet the requirements set forth in the checklists below.
- Please upload the files using our Contractor Portal, the link can be found at the top of the page.
Please Contact us at :
Email us : email@example.com
6050 Syracuse Street
Commerce City, CO 80022
Phone : 303-288-0835
Food Truck Operational Permit:
Mobile Food Vendors are an emerging fire safety risk. In order to protect our citizens, visitors and vendors to our district, any Food Trucks or Mobile Food Vendors with equipment that produces smoke or grease-laden vapors are required to obtain an Operational Permit from South Adams County Fire Department.
Please include the following items with submittals :
All submittals are required to be submitted through our email at firstname.lastname@example.org or call our office to schedule an appointment at 303-288-0835.
See below for information in regards to fire restrictions for the 2022 season. Fire Conditions will be updated as necessary pending changing fire weather conditions. Please remember open burning is from April 1st to October 31st.
Adams County Levels of Burning Resitrictions
Open Burn Permit and Regulations
State of Colorado Open Burn Permit Application