Fire & Life Safety Education
Open Burn Permits
Fire Prevention is Our Ultimate Goal
The South Adams County Fire Prevention Bureau was established in 1971 with 1 Fire Inspector. Today the Fire Prevention Bureau consists of one Fire Marshal and three Fire Prevention Officers. The Fire Prevention Bureau is responsible for fire safety, youth fire intervention, inspections of new and existing buildings, reviewing plans of new construction and hazardous materials processes as well as code enforcement. The Fire Prevention Bureau also spends many hours conducting public education classes both within the business community, and within local schools instructing children on the many ways of being fire safe.
The Fire Prevention Bureau believes that their work with children is imperative to their education. They stress the importance of not playing with fire, preparing safe methods of evacuation in the case of a fire as well as knowing who to call in the event of an emergency.
In addition they are responsible for the investigation of any fire within the district and work closely with local law enforcement ensuring community safety.
Access Our Contractor Portal for Plan Review and Permits
At South Adams County Fire Department we believe in community interaction and safety to the up most importance. The division of Fire and Life Safety Education consists of a variety of programs. Our Educator schedules stations tours. community events, school functions and training the community of all ages in fire safety.
Car Seat Inspections
Thanksgiving Safety Tips and Fire Facts
Top 10 safety tips
- Stay in the kitchen when you are cooking on the stove top so you can keep an eye on the food.
- Stay in the home when cooking your turkey, and check on it frequently.
- Keep children away from the stove. The stove will be hot and kids should stay three feet away.
- Make sure kids stay away from hot food and liquids. The steam or splash from vegetables, gravy or coffee could cause serious burns.
- Keep knives out of the reach of children.
- Be sure electric cords from an electric knife, coffee maker, plate warmer or mixer are not dangling off the counter within easy reach of a child.
- Keep matches and utility lighters out of the reach of children — up high in a locked cabinet.
- Never leave children alone in room with a lit candle.
- Keep the floor clear so you don’t trip over kids, toys, pocketbooks or bags.
- Make sure your smoke alarms are working. Test them by pushing the test button.
Thanksgiving Fire Facts
- Thanksgiving is the peak day for home cooking fires, followed by Christmas Day, the day before Thanksgiving, Easter, and Christmas Eve.
- In 2018, U.S. fire departments responded to an estimated 1,630 home cooking fires on Thanksgiving, the peak day for such fires.
- Unattended cooking was by far the leading contributing factor in cooking fires and fire deaths.
- Cooking caused almost half of all reported home fires and home fire injuries, and it is the second leading cause of home fire deaths in 2014-2018.
Safety Tips and Links
South Adams County Fire Department is committed to community safety. One of the first steps we take in making sure that the buildings around the district are safe is the with the plan review process. Below you will find the links for the applications and fee schedules. Please contact us with any other questions or concerns.
All construction inspections with the exception of underground water line and fire service line inspections , will be conducted and scheduled Tuesday through Thursday from 9 am to 4 pm. Underground Water line and Fire Service Line Inspections will be by appointment only.
We have updated our Plan Review and Hazardous Materials Plan Review Applications. Please see below for the updated versions.
When Submitting a set of plans for review please include the required following:
- Plan Review application :
- Electronic files in PDF format. Submitted in an unlocked and secured state for plan review.
- Required submittal information listed in the checklists below.
- Please upload files using our Contractor Portal, the link can be found at the top of the page.
- You may also bring a flash drive with your files to our Fire Prevention Offices at 6050 Syracuse Street Commerce City CO 80022, but this will delay your review time
- Plan Review Application information :
- Hazardous Materials Application information:
Please Contact us at :
Email us : [email protected]
6050 Syracuse Street
Commerce City, CO 80022
Phone : 303-288-0835
Fire and Emergency Services Impact Fees
In June of 2016, the Colorado Public Safety Fairness Act (HB16-1088) was signed into law allowing Fire Districts to work with their County or municipalities to impose an impact fee to help defray the costs of providing fire and emergency services to new development. South Adams County Fire Department’s Fire and Emergency Services impact fee was approved by Commerce City and Adams County in December of 2017.
The Fire and Emergency Services Impact Fee is designed to assist with capital facility improvement projects related to the impact new development has on the South Adams County Fire Department. The fee will be used to help pay for items such as but not limited to future apparatus, equipment, stations and training facilities. The fee cannot be used for personnel related cost such as salaries or benefits.
To provide more options to property owners and developers, under certain circumstances South Adams County Fire Department may accept an In-Kind Contribution (i.e., land, facilities, a specific apparatus, etc.) in lieu of paying some or all of a required fee. Any In-Kind Contribution accepted by the South Adams County Fire Department must be evidenced by executed signed written agreement. For more information about In-Kind Contributions, please contact Division Chief/Fire Marshal Randall Weigum ([email protected]).
Documentation that the fee has been paid in full or a signed In-Kind Contribution agreement will need to be submitted to the Commerce City Building Department (if your property is in the City) or the Adams County Building Department (if your property is outside the City limits) as a condition of issuance of a building permit associated with a new development.
Please feel free to direct any further questions to Division Chief/Fire Marshal Randall Weigum:
South Adams County Headquarters Building
6050 Syracuse Street
Commerce City, CO 80022